Saturday, June 19, 2010

Aha! it is Praha!


Look over there, that is the famous dancing building landmark, finally, we are in Prague. The roads near the hotel are all under construction....carpet bombing wouldn't make them any worse, but alas we arrive at our hotel at exactly 6:57 pm. Edward gallantly says, "Let's go to the opera, we won't even check in." I reply, "But what about the CAR?" So we check in and ask the less than helpful desk clerk if we can leave the car parked outside on the street. "NO!" was here quick reply,"That is for people who live here." "Well then, where can we park?" "All parking is full." "Wait a minute, we have a car, what do we do with it???" "You can park in the parking garage, it is easy, just right and right." and she hastily drew a circle around the Opera house on the complimentary city map. Great! parking near the opera house. So we take our overnight bag up and return to park the car and perhaps catch the second or third act of Carmen on the way back. As we leave the security guard wishes us "good luck." I now know what he meant. We proceed following the desk clerk's directive, right and right, but no parking garage anywhere. Now would be a good time for me to tell you that Praha is like no other city I have ever seen...it is totally under construction, I mean big gaping holes in the road, taxi's racing and honking everywhere, pedestrians leaping into crosswalks as if to say "go ahead you Yankee tourist hit me and I'll sue your ass off!" Edward and I both lose it with each other and decide to return to the hotel, check out, and get the hell out of Dodge! We arrive back at the hotel and Edward tells me to circle the block while he handles the situation.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Sorry about Praha. I,ve only hear good things about it. I guess it wasn,t under so much construction then??? Did you make the opera?????
    Wish you all were here- too quiet!!!
    Margie
    PS I guess Betsy has had it with all the confusing directions!!!!

    ReplyDelete